On April 12, 2018, the United Nations has designated June 3 as World Bicycle Day to raise awareness about the multiple societal and environmental benefits of using the bicycle for transport and leisure. The Chain Effect and Live Love Beirut are organizing an event on June 2 to launch Cycling 2030. The latter is Lebanon’s plan to place cycling at the heart of a sustainable transportation policy. To note, Lebanon is committed to the
and theParis Agreement
on climate change.
Here's the event's agenda!
- 9:00 PM - Gathering at Beirut by Bike Waterfront
- 9:30 PM - Departure from Beirut by Bike Waterfront
- 9:45 PM - Meetup at the entrance of Nejmeh Square (facing Patchi)
- 10:00 PM - Gathering at Nejmeh Square for celebrations and a small projection in the square
- 10:30 PM - Departure from Nejmeh Square for a symbolic ride in Downtown Beirut
Do not forget to bring your own bike. In case you don't have one, you can rent one from any shop in Beirut or get a free ride from Beirut by Bike!
The Chain Effect and Live Love Beirut aim to make Lebanon a biker-friendly country. Making the roads safer for bikers will allow people to bike instead of driving cars. Fewer cars on the roads means less traffic and less pollution.
A lot needs to be done to achieve this goal. We need more bike lanes, public bike racks, and affordable bike share programs. That's a wonderful start!
Bike to work day
On April 25, The Chain Effect invited Lebanese people tobike to work
for free to experience the pros of riding a bike in Beirut! The participants got free bikes and helmets for a day and experienced what it's like to bike to work in Beirut!