On November 8, 1943, after the election of President Bechara El Khoury and the appointment of Prime Minister Riad al-Solh, the Chamber of Deputies altered the Lebanese Constitution – abolishing the articles referring to the French Mandate.
The French responded by arresting the President, the Prime Minister, and other cabinet members, and exiling them to an old citadel located in Rashaya.
Located in the West Bekaa area, Rashaya is still considered a traditional Lebanese town with its old paved streets and small shops. It retains a distinguished character of traditional stone houses with red-tiled roofs.
Located on a hill, the castle was considered a strategic location in wars and battles. Underground passages between the town and the citadel are established in case of sieges, providing food, water and all kinds of equipment.