It’s Been 7 Years Since Lebanese Cameraman Samir Kassab Was Kidnapped In Syria

It's Been 7 Years Since Lebanese Cameraman Samir Kassab Was Kidnapped In Syria
CPJ | BBC

When Samir Kassab last headed to before being kidnapped in October 2013, he crossed from southern to northern in a path that he had taken before, in order to work on a report about the Eid El-Adha celebrations in the city of Aleppo.

In a brief piece of shortly after, Sky News Arabia – for which he and his colleague who disappeared with him, Mauritanian reporter Isaac Mooctar, worked – announced: “Contact with our crew in has been lost since October 15, 2013.”

Since then, his afflicted family members have been protesting and demanding more effort from the Lebanese authorities to locate him, but they’ve only managed to receive bits and pieces of news about him, mostly rumors.

Bits and Pieces

In 2014, French journalist Nicolas Hénin was freed after spending 10 months in captivity in . With him, he brought back news that was equally hopeful and terrifying.

After his release, Hénin said that Samir Kassab was his cell neighbor in Aleppo, in ISIS’s captivity. This was the first real lead in the Kassab case since contact with him was lost.

The second lead came in the same year, prior to the kidnapping of Lebanese soldiers in Arsal. This time, the information was disclosed by the director-general of General Security, Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim.

Ibrahim said that he had indicators that Samir Kassab was still alive and that there was work in progress on his case. However, the kidnapping of the Lebanese troops, later on, put a halt to the progress.

In 2017, after the remains of the martyred soldiers were retrieved, Ibrahim said that ISIS was asked about Kassab, but that the terrorist organization denied having him.

For the past 7 years, Kassab’s case has been shrouded in mystery and occasional rumors of him being transferred from one area to another, without any solid evidence leading to his location or indicating his fate.

More Effort

Considering that Spain, Denmark, and were able to liberate journalists of theirs held hostage in , the director of the SKeyes Center for Media and Cultural Freedom, Ayman Mhanna, has called for the Lebanese government to coordinate with these countries for help on the case.

As presidential sources told The Daily Star in 2018, President and then-Foreign Minister spoke to , the US, Russia, , and international organizations in an attempt to uncover details about the Lebanese hostage, but to no avail.

To Kassab’s pained family, the Lebanese authorities must exert additional effort.

George Kassab, Samir's brother, speaks during a press conference in 2014.
George Kassab, Samir’s brother, speaks during a press conference in 2014.
Photo: The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir

“That your beloved one is taken hostage by fighters is the worst thing you can imagine. I do not wish this to anyone, not even my worst enemies,” Razan Hamdan, Samir Kassab’s fiancée, told SKeyes Center for Media and Cultural Freedom.

“In this country, you need to convince the government to do more while, in other countries, the government [itself] offers to help release the hostages,” she added.

On its part, the Kassab family continues to hold regular protests to attract media attention to the 7-year-old case, in hopes to finally get an answer as to what happened to Samir and bring him back home “alive or dead” as the 2019 campaign for his case put it.

Where is Samir Kassab?
“Wanted, alive or dead.
#Where_is_Samir_Kassab”

Our team works tirelessly to ensure Lebanese people have a reliable alternative to the politically-backed media outlets with their heavily-funded and dangerous propaganda machines. We've been detained, faced nonstop cyber attacks, censorship, attempted kidnapping, physical intimidation, and frivolous lawsuits draining our resources. Financial support from our readers keeps us fighting on your behalf. If you are financially able, please consider supporting The961's work. Support The961. Make a contribution now.