On the occasion of the 74th anniversary of the independence of Lebanon, a reproduction of the Martyrs’ Statue was placed inside the Presidential Palace in Baabda. The names of the martyrs from 1914 until now are carved on the monument.
About the Martyrs’ Monument
Located in the Central District of Beirut, this sculpture commemorates the martyrs who spoke against the Ottoman rule in 1916. They were executed at the orders of the ruler Jamal Pasha. The statue was inaugurated in 1960 by the late President Fouad Chehab. During the Lebanese Civil War, the Martyrs’ Square was one of the most dangerous places in Beirut. It got destroyed, and the sculpture was severely damaged. According to
, the statue was at the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK) in 1996 where experts were renovating it. The whole process took approximately seven months. However, the sculpture stayed at USEK eight years until it was moved back to its initial place. The bullet holes were left visible on the sculpture to serve as a reminder of the historic events. The location of the masterpiece is very important. Beirut was once divided between Christians and Muslims. It has also witnessed war and peace. The capital of Lebanon is also compared to a Phoenix since it got destroyed and rebuilt seven times. This sculpture is a reminder of the way in which Lebanon rises again against all the odds.