The Romans modified the temple: They added a colonnade, a stairway, a basin for ablutions, and a monument consecrated to the nymphs.
Another earthquake hit the region. The temple was mostly destroyed and was used as a quarry by Emir Fakhr Al-Din II, who used its massive blocks to build a bridge over the Awali river in the 17th century.
The rediscovery of the Temple of Eshmun
In 1900, local treasure hunters discovered inscriptions carved onto the temple’s walls. The curator of the Museum of Constantinople Theodore Macridy got interested in the discovery and cleared the remains between 1901 and 1903.
Finally, the prominent French archaeologist Maurice Dunand conducted an excavation that revealed the remains of the Temple of Eshmun.
The site was neglected during the Lebanese Civil War. However, it is now a site that holds great historical, archaeological, and cultural significance. People can visit the temple free of charge.
The Temple of Eshmun was added to the Tentative List of the UNESCO World Heritage in 1996.